Setting up your smart trainer with or without Powermatch:
To configure your smart trainer if you do not have a separate/onboard power meter:
For Edge 520/820:
- On your Garmin go to ‘Settings’
- Select ‘Sensors’
- Search for and select your smart trainer. You may need to select ‘Add Sensor’ and press ‘Search All’ or ‘Indoor Trainer’
For Edge 1030:
- Select Training > Indoor Trainer > Pair ANT+ Bike Trainer.
- Select the indoor trainer to pair with your device.
- Select Add.
To enable Powermatch if you have a separate/onboard power meter:
In order to use Powermatch you will need to remove your smart trainer from the sensors menu on your Garmin, and configure it in the Xert Workout Player app.
For Edge 520/820/1000:
- Configure your onboard power meter (crank, hub or pedal based for example). On your Garmin, navigate to Settings > Sensors, then select your onboard power meter, ensure ‘enable’ is selected, and press ‘Connect’.
- Remove your smart trainer on your Garmin. Navigate to Settings > Sensors > select your smart trainer > Remove > Confirm;
- Open the Xert Workout Player app and a workout (press the Start/Stop button on your Garmin, and select Start Later);
- Open the Trainer Control page (‘back’ button on Edge 820/1000/1030, bottom right button on Edge 520) and press “Select”.
- Once your trainer has been found, select it.
- Make sure Powermatch is set to ‘ON’ by bringing up the Options screen (tap screen on 820/1000/1030, top right button on 520), select Powermatch, and select ‘ON’.
- If you’d like to begin your workout now, press the Start/Stop button on your Garmin and select ‘Start Workout’. If you choose to discard the activity your settings will continue to be saved.
For Edge 1030:
- Configure your onboard power meter (crank, hub or pedal based for example). On your Garmin, navigate to Settings > Sensors, then select your onboard power meter, ensure ‘enable’ is selected (little grey toggle is on the right side of the ‘switch’), and press ‘Connect’.
- Remove your smart trainer on your Garmin by navigating to Training > Indoor Trainer > Trainer Sensor. Select your indoor trainer already paired with your device and press ‘Remove’ and confirm.
- Follow steps steps 3 – 6 above in the Xert Workout Player app to set up Powermatch.
Here are some tips & tricks to using the Xert Workout Player on the Garmin Edge 1030, 1000, 820, 520+ and 520
Gestures/buttons and description:
|Operation||Edge 1030/1000/820||Edge 520/520+||Mode||Description|
|SELECT||Tap Screen||Top Right Button||Workout Mode||Opens the Options function:
|BACK||Tap Back Button||Bottom Right Button||Workout Mode||Opens the Trainer Control functions:
|START/STOP||Start/Stop Button||Start/Stop Button||Workout Mode||Opens the Workout Paused function:
|LAP||Lap Button||Lap Button||Workout Mode||Opens the Interval function:
|INCREASE WORKOUT INTENSITY||Swipe Left / Tap Increase on Screen||Up Button||Workout Mode||Adjusts Wattage:
|DECREASE WORKOUT INTENSITY||Swipe Right / Tap Decrease on Screen||Down Button||Workout Mode||Adjusts Wattage:
|START/STOP||Start/Stop Button||Start/Stop Button||Activity Mode||Opens the Activity Paused function:
There are 4 STATUS PAGES, each showing:
- Chosen Workout, Workout Duration and Fitness Signature.
- Total XSS, XLSS (Low XSS), XHSS (High XSS), XPSS (Peak XSS), Total Work, XEP (Xert Equivalent Power), Distance
- ConnectIQ Version, Phone Connection Status, Battery Level, Memory Usage
- Sensors Attached, Trainer Control Operation, Powermatch Slope, Powermatch Intercept
- Player determines Power Meter wattage as Slope * Trainer wattage + Intercept
On Screen, what you see:
Did you know?
You can do workouts outdoors.
- Turn GPS ON by tapping your screen / clicking the SELECT button and then changing GPS from OFF (default) to ON. This will include GPS, Altitude and GPS-based speed in your recording
You don’t need to start your ‘workout’ right away.
- When you start your ‘activity’ (ride), open the Workout Player and allow the workout to load. Then, press the Start/Stop button and select “Start Later”. Your Garmin will record your activity/ride until you decide to begin your workout. When you’re ready to begin your workout, press the Start/Stop on your Garmin unit and select “Start Now”.
- Once your workout is done, and you’ve decided to keep riding, press the Start/Stop button on your Garmin unit and select “End Workout”. When you’re done your ride, press the Start/Stop button and select “Save” to end – and save – the entire activity.
- If you need to skip an interval – if you’re unable to finish one, for example – press the lap button on your Garmin and select ‘Skip’
- If you need to stop in the middle of an interval (have you ever come to a stoplight in the middle of an interval?), press the Start/Stop button. When you’re ready to restart, select ‘Resume’.
You can use ‘Powermatch’.
- Powermatch – which means that the resistance you feel on your smart trainer is being guided by the power data from your bike’s onboard power meter (crank, hub or pedal based for example) – can be used with the the Xert Workout Player. Enabling this features means that if you’re using the same bike outdoors as your do indoors on your trainer, the same power meter is also being used. This removes the variability commonly experienced between different power meters and trainers. To set it up, enable and configure your power meter as a sensor in the Garmin sensors menu (not in the Xert app), then configure your smart trainer using the smart trainer SELECT feature in the Xert Workout Player. Note that if your smart trainer is configured as a sensor in the Garmin sensors menu, it will not be possible to use Powermatch.