Xert Mobile for Android can be configured to work with your smart trainer where it will control the power to match those of the workout you are performing. What’s important to remember is that the software works best and most reliably with trainers that support the ANT+ Fitness Equipment and Control (“ANT FE-C”) standard. Most modern smart trainers that have trainer control, such as the Wahoo KICKR, TACX Neo and Vortex, Elite Direto, Cycleops Magnus and Hammer, Minoura Kagura, and many others support this trainer control standard. To have any of these trainers work with Xert Mobile you can perform the following steps:
- Ensure you have an Android Version 4.4 or higher phone that supports USB “On-the-go” (OTG) adapters. You will also need an OTG cable and an ANT+ USB Stick. OTG cables are very inexpensive and can be found at your local electronics shop or on Amazon, for example, for just a few dollars. Here is a phone with an OTG cable and ANT+ stick:
After plugging in the adapter and ANT+ stick, the Android may ask for your permission to connect to the USB device. Choose “OK”.
2. Go to the Playstore and search and install the following apps: Xert Mobile, ANT+ Radio Service, ANT+ Plugins Service, ANT+ USB Service:
Note that if your phone has an ANT+ antenna already built-in (many Samsung’s and Sony’s for example already come with ANT+ built-in) you won’t need to install the ANT+ USB Service and do not require an external ANT+ stick).
- Launch Xert Mobile. Use your Xert username (not email address) and password to login.
- Configure your sensors. Swipe left or tap SCAN on the main tab bar to go to the SCAN menu. Wake up your sensors by turning your pedals or plugging in your smart trainer:
If you turn Bluetooth off in the Android system settings, you’ll only see ANT+ devices on this page. Configure Bluetooth sensors only as a last resort. Some smart trainers are not supported in Bluetooth mode.
- Tap Fitness Equipment Devices. This is your Smart Trainer:
Enable Trainer Control, Power and Speed. If you planning to use a separate power meter to control the power on the trainer, enable Powermatch. Tap Enable at the top. Tap the Android back button on the bottom to exit the settings.
- (Optional) To configure your power meter, identify the ANT+ id for your power meter and tap it:
Tap Power and other services available on your power meter. Tap Enable. Tap the Android back button.
- You’re now all set. (For the first time setup, particularly if you enabled/disabled sensors or made numerous changes, you may also choose to RESTART the app: using the ACTIVITY tab, tap START and RESTART).
Performing a Workout
To perform a workout, slide to the WORKOUT tab (or simply tap WORKOUT). Tap SELECT to bring up your workout library. Your selected workout that has been selected on Xert Online is shown:
If this is the workout you wish to perform, simply tap the workout. If you wish to choose another workout, tap ALL or one of the Athlete Types and search/choose your workout:
After tapping and choosing a workout, you’re now ready to start the workout. Tap START on the WORKOUT tab and your workout recording will automatically start recording with trainer control. If you’ve enabled Powermatch, the calibration takes a few minutes and requires alternating sequences of low and high intensity. Most of Xert’s workouts have this as part of the warmup process.
Controlling the Workout
During the workout, you can tap ELAPSED on the bottom right to pause the workout, you can then RESUME, END WORKOUT, which allows you to continue recording, or END ACTIVITY, which allows you to finish and save the activity to Xert (note: if you tapped your Android’s ‘back’ button by mistake, select ‘Dismiss’ to get back to the workout or activity screen, and end & save the activity from there).
You can also tap INTERVAL to perform interval actions:
Tapping the Target Power cell enables you to adjust the power of the interval:
Xert Mobile for Android can also control your smart trainer manually. To control your trainer (outside of a workout session), start your activity using the START button on the ACTIVITY tab and then tap and hold a cell to bring up the cell measurement options:
Here you can choose what measurement/item to display during your activity. Selections related to operation with your smart trainer are:
- Trainer Power: This cell will show the power data coming from the Trainer. Often this is good to see the discrepancy between your power meter and your power meter.
- Trainer Resistance: This cell will enable you to adjust the trainer resistance.
- Trainer Slope: This cell will enable you to adjust the trainer slope.
- Erg Mode: This cell will enable you to adjust the trainer power.
Once any of these are added to your screen, tap on them to change their settings:
- Resistance doesn’t feel right: Use the SETTINGS/OPTIONS tab to review your Powermatch settings. If you are seeing very large numbers for Trainer power offset or Trainer power scaling, reset them to 0 and 1, respectively.
- Power is not being controlled or is variable: Check that you don’t have another program controlling your trainer. Only one program or app can control your trainer at a given time.
- Data suddenly stopped coming in or numbers are “stuck”. If your Android is busy doing other tasks, it may inadvertently stop Xert’s services that are used to collect data behind the scenes. Swipe down from the top (twice on some phones) to see if the Xert Service is Started. If you don’t see a background service, you may need to restart your activity. Sometimes the ANT+ services stop functioning. When any of these happen, uour best bet is to save and start a new activity. Often a RESTART (tap the timer on the ACTIVITY tab and then tap RESTART) will try and bring things back but it doesn’t always work, especially if the ANT+ radio/plugin services become unstable or stop functioning. When this happens, you may need to reboot the Android phone to brings things back to normal again. N.B. It is advisable to have as few apps as possible running at the same time as Xert Mobile in order to help avoid data loss.