This guide will walk you through how to add activities to your Xert account, and how to manage your settings to ensure you’re getting, and sharing, the data you’d like.
Skip ahead to:
Before beginning, a quick note about terminology. In Xert, ‘Activities’ are your rides, runs, races, etc. They include the data captured by your power meter and on-board computer. For example, if you’re using a Garmin computer, each activity file may contain power, speed, duration, GPS, elevation, and much more. ‘Workouts’ are also ‘activities’, however ‘workouts’ are always structured. So…all workouts are activities, but not all activities are workouts.
Ideally, Xert works best when it can analyze data from your history to establish patterns between your training and your ability to perform. Upload/sync at least three months of data to ensure Xert has a good data set to analyze.
If you skipped configuring your Strava account when you first setup your account, navigate to Sync > Strava to set it up. Click on the Connect with STRAVA button and you’ll be prompted to login to Strava (if not already logged in) and authorize the Xert app.
Once authorized the following options are available on your Sync > Strava page:
- ‘Revert Strava Updates’: Clicking this button will remove all Xert ‘breakthrough’ activities, and their links, added to your Strava Activity Feed by the ‘Show Breakthroughs on Strava’ toggle feature.
- ‘Show Breakthroughs on Strava’: Enable this setting if you’d like to have Xert share your breakthroughs on your Strava Activity Feed.
- Edit Activity Types: This feature enables you to update the types of activities from Strava that you’d like shared with Xert.
- ‘Sync from Strava to Xert’: Enable this if you’d like all your Strava activities, and changes to activities (like updates to the name of an activity), synced with your Xert account. If Strava is your primary source of activity data we recommend you tick this box. If you leave this box unchecked you will need to select each individual activity you’d like synced with Xert by ticking the box next to it, and pressing the red ‘Sync’ button at the bottom right corner of the page.
- ‘Sync from Xert to Strava’: Enable this if you’d like all your activities & workouts done using Xert apps, like the Workout Player for Android, iOS, or Garmin – or if you use the Xert app for Android as your onboard cycling computer – synced to your Strava account. If you use any of these apps we recommend this box also be checked.
- Date range (in grey box): To import your activities for the first time – if not already synced – clicking on the grey box containing the date range allows you to select the range you’d like. Once the table is updated with the activities from the date range, tick the box at the very top left corner of the table to select all activities on all pages and click the red ‘Sync’ button on the bottom right of the page. Depending on the number of activities, this may take a few minutes as they are analyzed.
- Tick box beside each activity: you can select individual activities to sync with your Xert account by ticking the boxes next to each activity, and pressing the red ‘Sync’ button on the bottom right of the page. If you have previously enabled the ‘Sync from Strava to Xert’ setting (#4 above) you may not have any activities showing.
- ‘Broken link’ icon (right side of page): Click this button to disconnect your Strava account from Xert. Any Xert data synced with Strava will not be removed from Strava unless feature #1 above is enabled.
Unlike the Strava link the interface to Garmin Connect only allows the latest activity to be automatically synchronized. No historical activities can be synchronized.
To link your Garmin Connect account with Xert, navigate to Sync > Garmin Connect. Click the dark blue connect button. You will need to sign in with the credentials you typically use to login to your Garmin Connect account, and then click the ‘Authorize’ button. Activities will automatically sync from now on.
You can also import files from TrainingPeaks but it’s a more manual process; unfortunately TrainingPeaks no longer allows third-parties from accessing data on TrainingPeaks. Follow this FAQ on how to upload your historical activities from TrainingPeaks.
To upload your historical activities manually, your best option is to plug in your bike computer into to your computer’s USB port and using the Upload Activity menu option under Sync, navigate to the folder on your device that has your activities, select them and upload them to the system. Xert will then queue them up for processing on the system. Depending on the number of activities, it may take a few seconds to several minutes to process them.
You’re ready to Xert!
Xert will analyze your uploaded/synced activities one-by-one, second-by-second, to determine your Fitness Signature for each activity. Using the goals you set for yourself – target event date, athlete type, and improvement rate – and your historical performance and training history, the Xert Adaptive Training Advisor will maintain a customized plan for you and serve you specific workouts tailor-made to help you reach your goals. And every time you upload a new activity, Xert will analyze the data to update your plan.